By Porter Rodriguez
Edited by Danika Suh
In our current environment where there are so many negative influences surrounding food and health, it is especially important for teens and young adults to have a healthy relationship with food. Here are a few quick and easy tips that can help you!
1. Balance is key!
It's totally okay to eat sweet treats, but remember to balance that out with healthy foods as well.
2. Don’t be too restrictive - eat everything in healthy moderation.
Being too restrictive with your food can lead to an unhealthy cycle of restricting and binge eating.
3. Remember that food is fuel for your body, and you need it to function.
Food is not only something that can be fun and delicious, but also something that your body requires to keep you alive every day.
4. Eat breakfast, it helps improve your mood and gives you energy to start your day.
Even just grabbing a banana or a granola bar before school can make a big difference.
5. Eat food that makes you feel good, not just for a shift on the scale.
For example, if you like avocados and they make you feel good after eating them, don’t be afraid to enjoy them!
6. Eat food mindfully.
Try not to watch TV or do work while eating. Eating food mindfully gives you more time to enjoy and notice how your body feels when eating.
7. Eat when physically hungry instead of when you want to soothe your emotions.
Eating to sooth your emotions is a common response and is okay to a certain extent. Instead of using eating as a coping mechanism, you should try to figure out what's really wrong.
8. Give yourself permission to enjoy eating!
Eating is not inherently a bad thing, and should be fun and enjoyable.
9. Be wary of "fad diets."
A lot of times they are scams and can lead to unhealthy eating habits.
10. Meal prep for the week, it can help make choosing to eat less stressful.
Meal prepping can also make it easier to eat 3 meals a day, as you don’t even have to think about it. All you do is just grab a meal and go!
11. Think about what to eat, not what not to eat.
If you focus on what you're not supposed to eat instead of what to eat, it can lead to a negative mindset. Remember to eat foods that you enjoy!
Of course, to have a healthy mindset, you need to have a healthy environment. Some influencers that you can follow to help you feel more positive are @deliciouslyella , @nutritionstripped, and @gkstories. Some health conscious TikTokers are @brittanilancaster, @feliciayumm, and @kenziejo_clark.